Feb 25, 2007

To Dream Or Not To Dream

A little something which started as a pastime endeavour to save myself from getting bored after having been made to stand alone on account of talkativeness int he physics lab, this developed into a 100 liner! A prepped up version of a small dream I had , this poem, I lost once and then had to re-create it. Here goes....


TO DREAM OR NOT TO DREAM??


A comfy breeze lifted up the leaves,
Played around and rustled the trees;
Came I walking my dog at my heels,
Coasting along as I please.

" The sun’s about to cast its glow"
I said to my dog shadow
As we walked over ridge and furrow
Caused by the wind on the lush meadow

Lo! The land rose suddenly uphill
We tried to climb over the hill
Though it was a morning chill
We set upon it with grit and will

Just when I thought I should turn back
Coz, the long walk hurt my back
I saw someone on the beaten track
Whose very sight made me slack!

Yes!It was a pretty girl
Her hair having many a curl
A cascade atop her head flowed
And on her face a radiance showed

And that was not all because
There was a golden retriever shiny as gloss
I couldn’t believe my eyes
What a coincidence what a surprise

She came closer, I said Hi
She returned it not too shy
We talked for hours it seemed like minutes
Before I realized I was late by 10 minutes

I said a hurried bye while
She gave me a friendly smile
Pulling the two dogs apart
I turned around and began to depart

Next day to my college I went
Against the fierce wind doubly bent
In front of me an umbrella flew
The owner of which was a person I knew

I couldn’t believe my eyes
What a coincidence what a surprise
It was the girl I’d met at the meadow
In a dress as white as snow

She studied at the same place as me
The knowledge of which gave me a weak knee
I was late for class so I had to hurry up
The departing smile knocked me up!!!

Days rolled on as they always do
How we got closer I don’t have a clue
Destiny made me walk that day
Destiny made me walk that way

On a starlit night we went out
The candles were almost burned out
Our eyes met and I saw glee
So my eyes said “ will you marry me?”

2 years later we walk to the park
Listening to our dogs bark
We walk by the meadow whence we met
That day in my life I’ll never regret

I sat down and rested on a boulder
She placed her head on my shoulder
I took her hand in mine
No words were needed at that time

Leaves fell all down all around us
Autumn creating its usual fuss
It was beautiful, the two of us alone
Our dogs looking for a bone

Life is beautiful, life is a dream
Shining on us like a golden beam
Sometimes life’s not what it seems
Flowing like a silent stream.

I kept looking at her resting on me
Any better, this just couldn’t be
I never minded it getting colder,
As long as she was there by my shoulder

Just when I was about to wake her up,
My entire world changed downside up,
I found my mom waking me up,
In her hand was a coffee cup!

I pinched myself wishing this was a dream
No the pain caused a tear stream
I was in a dream a beautiful one too
Alas it was too good to be true

Fleeting memories pass me by
Of the dream that was and gone by
Did I just visit paradise?
Or is it some trick of the eyes??

When I thought I had it all
I was in for a big fall
A perfect dream it had been
If it comes true it remains to be seen!

As I walk down the street
Trudging on my shoe clad feet
I can’t help but hope anew
“Some dreams do come true…”

Some questions are better left alone
Just like a precious oak cone
But it still remains to be seen
To dream or not to dream??”

- Sharanyan (Written before I became Ryan.A.Nash)


P.S : I still don't know who the girl was!! :( :P

12 comments :

Nithya said...

Splendid...Now I know why it took 6 months for you to create this 'magnum-opus' :P

Real good :)
It was worth the wait seriously...This definitely tops the list of ur well-written endeavours..

Try writing a sequel :D

Unknown said...

hmmm...good poem. :)...
hmmm btw..u ve coffee without brushing ur teeth???:P..neways jus kidding..
hey who s that gal??
hmmm...so sad.really unlucky ------..wish u this dream ll come true in the "garden" of life..
ANYWAYS SHARAN THAT WAS A GR8 WORK BY U..I REALLY LOVE THAT POEM...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Priya Arun said...

~standing ovation~

Absolutely fantabulous! You know, you should write more of these, you have a way with words.

Priya Arun said...

Hey, where's the usual FRIENDS dialogue on the sidebar?!! :-(

Ryan said...

@priya
hey took that off.....jus tried a change....anyway gald to know u read em too!!!! THANKS a ton!!! maybe ill put that bak due to viewers request!!!

Dinesh Krishnaswamy said...

wow!!
why only wat i write sucks???

dreams are much better than actual life...you can add your own background score to it...and you can time travel in dreams....so dream away...

gravity said...

absolutely brilliant!! (clap clap clap)

Loved the uniqueness of it. The originality and the gripping story behind it! ha ha..

Not bad imagination for a loafer like you! :P

I have a lot of action packed dreams mostly.. where i'm trying to kill some monster or flying away to escape some dark force ha ha. wierd i know. Sometimes i just get boring dreams of screwing up my exams! anyway, dont know how this was in any way relevent to your post but anyway! bla.. please ignore if you're in a foul mood.

Keep experimenting "saranya"!

Venki said...

gr8 goin.. liked ur pudhiya vaanam style..cool..

Ryan said...

@annette
thank u softie!!!!...yea those kind of dreams do occur..once i tried to escape form a crocodile and involuntarily i kicked my mom!!!!..i samaalichified wiht a sheepish grin on my face!!


@venki...lol...

Priya Arun said...

Yes, please put that FRIENDS thingie back. I definitely miss it :-(

Madhavan said...

Fan-bloody-tastic !!!!
That was a good one shoron....

and leave all the other dreams and kicking stuff...do u remember 'that' early morning on diwali day ???? (the mirror incident )
ROFL!!!
:)
:)
:)