Jun 10, 2009

Cinema paradiso


Another one of my holiday movie marathon post. Read if you want some suggestions for a good movie to watch over the weekend. ;)

In no particular order, over the past few weeks, I watched :
  • Scarface : Tony montana's rise to power, and all the dangers and vices that come with it. A fine movie, but you might find it a bit long. Kudos to Al Pacino.
  • The Notebook : Nicholas sparks, you know. Summer romance and a a twist at the end where someone has to have a terminal/sad illness. The summer romance part was good.
  • Seven pounds : Will smith on a mission to make up for one mistake he committed which led to the death of seven people. A pound for each of the seven. Seven pounds. Beautiful, in parts.
  • Chaos theory : I don't know why I saw this. You're not missing anything.
  • Let the right one in : Dutch thriller. Shot with class. A story of a little girl vampire, you know, a vampire as in the ones which bite humans for blood, burns when in the sunlight, etc, not one that twinkles in the sun.
  • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid : Please watch this if you get your hands on it. Brilliant movie. Sundance is class, and Paul Newman (Butch), I don't have to say anything about him. It's about The Hole In The Wall Gang which robbed trains.
  • Cool Hand Luke : Again, Paul Newman brilliance.
The luke smile


  • Wedding crashers : I got this for the cast, actually. But in the end, it ended up being fun. Rachel Mcadams, Owen Wilson and Isla Fisher. Rachel Mcadams is my current favorite, officially.
  • The lucky ones : Again, another movie for the cast, but the one-line-plot was promising as well. Three soldiers who've come home from the war, each with his/her own problems. Rachel Mcadams does an amazing southern accent. I think you might wanna watch this one.
  • Walk the line : The story of johnny cash. Fame and its repercussions. A biography of Johnny cash. Joaquin phoenix fits the role perfectly, though he might have done better with the laugh. And Reese witherspoon's southern accent matches Rachel's.
  • The Pianist : Truth. In all its bitterness. The true story of Wladislaw Spzilman, a pianist in the time of the Blitzkreig and the holocaust. Must-see if you like art movies.
  • Beautiful girls : Really good. I can watch this movie for Natalie portman's "Yo-willy-boy!" alone. A bunch of guys, and their concept of beauty takes a turn at their high school reunion.
  • Fugitive pieces : Very obscure cast. Beautiful poetry and amazing lines. Again the story of a Jewish man who loses his family as a kid during the war, and is taken care of by a greek.
  • Children Of Heaven : Simple. Beautiful. It is relly something, the way the little girl , Zahra, runs.
Making good use of the last few days I have for the movies. GRE-prep will go on during clss hours as well. Feels good, doing something worthwhile. When I question myself whether I wtach too many movies, I always have the GRE prep to match. ;)

7 comments :

Just a girl said...

*Sigh.* Wish I was on holidays and had the luxury of watching a movie...I have this strange urge to watch Transformers, as I haven't seen it yet, and the second one is coming out soon...

Watched the Notebook again on TV the other night. Yeah, it's beautiful.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is brilliance. 'Nuff said.

I ♥ Rachel McAdams. She's gorgeous and talented. I really want to see State of Play. Wedding Crashers was funny but not great.

I loved Walk the Line and the Pianist.

Great reviews =)

Films I intend to watch this summer/at some stage soon:
Annie Hall
Children of Men
Matrix
Pulp Fiction
Gone Baby Gone
Revolutionary Road

Films to be released:
HP 6
Up!

:D

*mutters about stupid essays and exams*

x
JAG

Nithya said...

Fugitive Pieces, Children of Heaven and Butch.. --> Nithya needs these movies on the 13th of July :P

Nithya said...

Cinema Paradiso a ? :D :D Vethu saap :D adhaan avane kadaya close pannitaan :D

Asmita Nandedkar said...

Sigh. Paul Newman. The end :)

Tina Nandi said...

wow! that's a lot of movies!!!
Butch Cassidy... LOVE! :P

Ryan said...

@JaG,
Transformers is Goot! And if you've watched the cartoon it's even better :P

Rachel McAdams! I know!

As for the films you intend to watch,
Matrix, you're better off watching the first one alone
Pulp fiction --> Class \m/
Gone baby gone was really good too.

On my films to be released list :

Inglourious basterds
Public enemies
Transformers 2
Sin city 2

Can't wait!

Vijay G S said...

Very good. keep up your busy schedule !