May 29, 2012

Squirrels are amazing creatures. They are nervous beings on caffeine. So much shiftiness. Squirrels in michigan grow to be HUGE, because they get a lot to eat. I also learnt in my "Environment and Climate Change" (Fun course for a credit) class that squirrels farther north and in high altitudes are much bigger to look threatening to other animals. They have lived among people for so long that, some of them aren't nervous anymore. They calmly walk close to humans and do whatever they do. I've always wanted to hold one of the squirrels. So I took some trail mix and waited in front of this particularly smaller guy, who crawled up tentatively. After a few sniffs and rapid turns of the head, he started eating out of my hand, and even got on it to eat stuff out of the palm. All the time, he kept an eye on me though. 

No comments :