Oct 24, 2006

When schumi overtook kimi!!

Funny how the title bears resemblance to the flick "when harry met sally"! Anyone who reads the title should understand what I'm talking about. Otherwise I think I would be totally right in classifying that person under the category of "NERD". Nerdship or nerdliness is guaranteed if someone does not or has not heard about Michael Schumacher. The victory hop on finishing first, the warm hugs to the team on losing, the tantrums thrown after losing due to some one else's mistakes- all these I can remember as though they are just happening right in front of my eyes.

7 titles-that is not any mean feat. But that is not the only thing that matters. The name and fame he brought to the game mattered much more. Not only that. He shut the door on the face of the critics by proving that an F1 driver was not only the machine like being behind the wheel, that there are emotions associated with them, that beneath the helmet is a man like no other. His was no mean feat. Starting tenth, going all the way to 20th then fighting your way back to 4th..Well that may sound like a fairy tale. If that may be called myth then we just have to rewrite the meaning of myth in all dictionaries.

First he overthrew the challenge posted by Mika hakkinen though mika beat him a few times. That was a rivalry to watch. Really sweet!
Then came raikkonen and montoya and ralf. They did not offer much of a resistance but there were a few heart stopping moments. In one such season, I think 2003, he won the title with 5 to 6 races to go in hungary itself. Now that defines a true champion.

He never lost belief in his car, his team or himself. Every race presented him with an opportunity to prove himself which he did gloriously and with panache. The childish jubilance on that mellow pink face and the champagne celebrations after that victory leap will never be forgotten. At least by me. The moment he overtook Kimi I felt as if "Now I've seen it all!!" Wheel to wheel baby!! Now that's racing. There is a difference between a good driver and a good racer. Racing is not always about speed. It demands precision and cunning. Schumacher was an exponent of both. We can only hope Ferrari bring out the same in Kimi.

I don't think I would be wrong in saying that the word "LEGEND" has finally got its meaning.

The rest is silence.

1 comment :

Nithya said...

very informative post....atleast for me cauz i really dunno the names associated with F1 racing...well am not a nerd though(I do kno who Schumacher is :P )....all i can comment on is your treatement of English....grrrrrrr8 usage of words....do write stuff on sports cauz "ignoramuses" like me shuld kno watz happenin in the sports scenario :P