Oct 10, 2008

As you like it.

What we see everyday around us, what we talk, what we listen to, what we feel brings to light a lot of things that we might have dismissed as petty some other day. Perception is a tricky being, like the mirage of water in a dreary desert. As we grow, our perception of things around us change, for the good or for the bad. Like how I realised I don't write as good as I used to while perusing through some of my posts from october 2007. Probably, my writing skills have taken a turn for the bad, or it could just be the fact that my brain has risen to a higher level. Neither of these two options comfort me.

Yesterday I had cold water after coming home from college. Half a bottle of it. Water tasted so fresh. Don't ask me how anything can taste fresh, but it did. Water is the best drink in the world. Period. 

Another thing that changes with age is taste in music. Many years ago, I thought backstreet boys were the coolest, them being the first band that I listened to. But then I never knew there existed something called "Rock". The more I got of it, the more I wanted. Psychedelic, Progressive, Classical, Soft, Metal, Grunge, Death, so on and so forth, each with its different style of music, each as fascinating as the other. Now I don't feel like listening to those BSB again, they could be good for all I know, but I don't. 

Time is another major perception-based commodity. I don't even have to explain that. Whatever we do every day, in essence we only buy time. Everyone, in this world, for that matter. We pay the doctor to buy more time to live. We drink water to buy time before thirst kicks in. We eat to fight hunger. We sleep to buy time for our dreams. We live to buy the time of our lives. So next time you ask somebody "Gimme a second", think about it. Time is not theirs to give.

People change. That is one thing that can never be stopped. Some of them really change. SOme of them however, just change in the way we view them. The haze that has been hanging around them suddenly lifts and you see what they really are. Not always a pretty picture. 

You ask me if this is all true? Come, read this in a different mood, or after a year or two and ask yourself if anything has changed. Trust me, it will have.

Realizations.

I walked slowly in the rain on the way back home. I liked it. The official looking lady with the important papers, or the young girl with the costly dress, however, did not. 






5 comments :

Anonymous said...

Some of the thoughts I've been meaning to blog about...
Very intense and well written!

Nithya said...

Perception isn't really a mirage. Perception is just a pair of spectacles.

Ryan said...

@nith

The best way to drive a point home is by bringing it out of the horse's mouth. Your comment proves my point. Perceptions differ. to me it like a mirage. to you it is just a pair of spectacles. But in truth both mean the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Well written :D , and as far as the quality of writing goes, i swear to god i feel the same way !

Vijay G S said...

Hey ryan... good to know that you discovered that water is the best drink in such a early age ! keep it up :)

Yes., anyday sundal rocks.... unfortunately, i cant reveal who is ramalingam !