Apr 17, 2009

The devil's horns

And I'm back. Again. This time after a feud with BSNL, who wouldn't repair my connection for 2 weeks. Those who wanted replies to comments, please check. (:P, I sound all pompous, don't I? Not intended, if I should add) .

I initially wanted to do a long general rant on whatever pours out of my head through my fingers onto the keyboard, but then I saw Metal : A Headbanger's Journey fully today (I say fully because everytime I started watching it before, I had to stop in the middle due to some reason or other) and I can't seem to think of anything else but that. Sam dunn's journey is something extraordinary. I leave you with his words.

Ever since I was 12 years old I had to defend my love for heavy metal against those who say it's a less valid form of music. My answer now is that you either feel it or you don't. If metal doesn't give that overwhelming surge of power that make the hair stand up at the back of your neck, you might never get it, and you know what? That's okay, because judging by the 40,000 metalheads around me we're doing just fine without you.

But I set out on this journey to find out the answer to one question. Why has heavy metal been consistently stereotyped, dismissed and condemned? And what has become clear to me, is that metal confronts what we'd rather ignore. It celebrates what we often deny. It indulges in what we fear most. And that's why metal, will always be a culture of outsiders.

\m/

8 comments :

Sharanya said...

Spent an hour reading your past entries. Then realized, suddenly, that there was a new one :-)

Tina Nandi said...

okay, i skipped the last big. i'm so NOT into heavy metal! :P
but good to have you back! :)

Anonymous said...

now go watch global metal :P

Atulaa Krishnamurthy said...

dammit. i want it.
put it in my harddrive sometime?
i've watched only few bits of it from youtube, his interview with gaahl and all.

ram said...

http://airtel.impatientones.com/

bsnl sucks!!!

Hari said...

glad those folks can do great without me, cause they have to..
metal is usually nonsense..

bhavini said...

Metal is something I haven't been able to appreciate, but I see that as something lacking in me. There's no harm in trying again and again to understand it, which is why I keep asking you to send such songs :D

The guy sounded pretty confrontational. But considering all the resistance he's had to counter, it isn't surprising.

I'm more interested to know what you think of metal. Why don't you write a post on it sometime?

Ryan said...

@sharanya,

My old entries. You have patience :|

@Tina,
Oh they're doing just fine with you too :)

@Shrey,
yessir!

@CLT
Gaahl rules the world of dramatic pauses! Yea sure, come back first :|

@ram,
Okay Mr.vehement protester/Airtel advertiser

@Hari,
Metal is usually nonsense, IN YOUR OPINION, :|

@V,
Sure thing. I'll do one later :)