Mar 27, 2010

Cheque please!

So we look for a new place to eat because when 'the mess down the street' becomes 'the same old', that's what you do, normally. We scout a few streets and after skipping two really good places because they serve only veg (My friend WON'T go to pure vegetarian restaurants. Even if he eats veggies at a Multi-cuisiner, I guess it helps him to know there's meat around.) We settle for 'Cascade', a multi-cuisine restaurant on the 4th floor of a building in Besant Nagar near the beach. We ran into a couple of Americans as we exited the lift, and they exited the restaurant. Ominous sign, that was. But we decided not to go back, because,well, we looked through the door and all, and a waiter saw us.

The place was brilliant. Good music, nice ambience, IPL match running on mute if you're one of those who don't have time for the ODIs and tests, good food and good service too. Great place to ask a friend for a treat. The first thing the waiter asked me was if we wanted mountain water which cost Rs.60 per bottle, and was on display on the table. I wanted to laugh at the waiter, but instead settled for a "No we're ok with ordinary water." Ordinary meant Mineral water over there. We looked at each other before opening the menu. Our guesses were right. there was not a single thing to eat at under 100 bucks. Heck, I even saw a soup worth 500 bucks, which you can cook yourself, on your own table. Now why would I do that?

We made peace with the menu, and decided to dine like kings, even if it meant the same-old for the next few days. We made helluva lot of peace unfortunately and ended up ordering desserts as well. You know how sometimes, you look at a menu, and it feels as though something has been named so just for you? That's how I felt when I found "Old pal" on the menu. Curious, I looked at the description. Old pal, indeed. It was 'three scoops of ice-cream with banana slices and chocolate sauce and nuts.'. I last had one of that description when I was 10, in madurai, when my dad used to order that every time I asked for it, and I used to have a hard time finishing it every time he ordered it. 11 years later, I ignored the fried ice cream and the brownie and called for my old pal.

So what if it ended up costing 750 bucks for two? I was happy. Food makes me happy. :) And I got to  meet an old pal as well.

Quick fact: I always ask for a finger bowl :P. Nothing beats having the scent of lemon on your hands after having a full course.

6 comments :

Sharanya said...

750 for two! That's not...SO expensive! :D

Nithya said...

Old pal sounds more like something that has alcohol in it.

(Am I commenting after a long time, here?)

Ryan said...

Heh, we ate like kings of some small country where you can count people with your fingers, not like the king of england or something.

No, it's just you. It doesn't sound like Alcohol.

Mary said...

Sharan once we spent 1500 on 3 :) Once in a while it is worth it :)

Arvind said...

Chinese food - Wangs Kitchen on Traffic jam road
It kills cascades in terms of price - 150 bucks a head and the food's almost as good. (I can't tell the difference)
If you're looking to splurge go to Cornucopia. It's on crescent road next to gandhinagar club - some of the best food i've had in Madras. Soup, main course, dessert is around 500-600 a head.

CoherentBlah said...

Old pal - I thought that was a drink, you know. A nice drink has an old-pally feeling... nostalgia and all...
but then, whatever gives you the kicks....:)