Mar 5, 2011

Chan ki saaans.

After four days of crashing in my friend's couch, I finally got back home thursday evening, only to brush teeth and pack stuff for the trip later that evening. The spring-break trip which in movies, generally involves a road trip and some fun in the sun.

Ten of us set off to Frankenmuth, a small village town an hour outside Ann arbor, supposedly known as the Bavaria of Ann arbor. It was a beautiful town, with small roads, lit streets and queer buildings with shops that closed at 9 PM. There were fudge kitchens, taverns and places which boasted of 75 different types of cheese. We made a mental note to go back there when it was light.

We left early the next morning (an achievement in itself) and set course to Crystal Mountain, the ski resort where we were headed. I have never been on such a drive before. It was beautiful yes, but not the happy colorful spring green and yellow, squirrel on the bark beautiful. It was the stark white snow with red houses and dome-roofed barns beautiful. It was the occasional big country house in the middle of nowhere beautiful. It was the sound of a brook flowing through pebbles beautiful. It was perfect for some porcupine tree music. Then we reached the resort.

Push down slope. Wedge. Stop. Fall. Push down slope. Finish. Victory dance. Move to bigger slope. Trippy ski-lift to the top. Jaw-drop at view from the top. Push down slope. Fall. Getup. Push down. Fall. Push down. Finally finish. Wet sore ass but triumphant grin on the face.

What clinched it was when we went up the ski-lift to a bigger track. The skis weighed down my legs as I let them hang loose, travelling on that cable car, hundred feet over swift moving forms in the powdery white snow. The occasional shudder made it even more beautiful. After what seemed like a while, we suddenly started evening out and all I could see in front of us was the sky and the horizon expanding out.   We were standing, or trying to stand, rather, on one of the small peaks of the crystal mountain, the expanses of Michigan spread out before us and two trails leading down in an incline which I couldn't comprehend at first. It was an amazing feeling, standing there, trembling in the wind, nervous, while small kids of 5 years whizzed past us on mini skis. Finally the five of us jumped down, one by one.

Fast chilly winds brought tears to the eyes and shook my feet as I gathered speed. I saw a couple of friends crash/wipeout in front. One had a cartoon-network moment. He was going smooth till he saw a tree and feel down before he hit it. Another ventured into the tougher tracks by mistake and crashed. Yet another found novel methods of crashing which made passersby pause and commend him. I crashed, and slid on my ass for a few feet before turning sideways and stopping. I got up and held onto a tree before putting the skis back on and crashing again. I got up and this time, however, I made it to the bottom, with a grin on my face. Crashing had never been so much fun.

We returned our shoes to a pretty girl at the counter, who wasn't there when we first got them. We returned our skis to an old man who asked if any of took videos. Most of us slept on the way back. It was a feeling akin to those field trips I had had at school, when everyone is tired and a little sad that it is getting over.

Ten sore asses and twenty tired legs returned to Ann arbor with a ton of un-uploadable photos.

"Mmm, party."


Ski-trip : check.
Epic ski-trip : Double check.

P.s : Yanni concert on the 27th in Detroit. March isn't so bad after all.

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

1) It is 'chain ki saans'

2) I am glad you wrote this

3) I HATE YOU

Ryan said...

It is "Chan ki saans". You don't know the context.

Are you who I think you are?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think.

Sharanya said...

March is only going to get better, birthday boy. Thanks for writing this.

Nithya said...

I am liking the new template very much :)

kage said...

Nice template man.