Apr 13, 2012

My brother had a daughter last October, and for the first time in my life I have the chance to see someone important grow right from birth. I have spent quite some time with my niece, spanning over three visits. It has been quite an experience to say the least.

She is quite a handful. This one day, she started crying all of a sudden. All I knew was the usual hunger, poop, sleep check. My dad was giving her some baby food but she didn't want to eat. She has just woken up and she hadn't pooped. She cried for twenty minutes and then became ok. WhatisthisIdonteven

This other time, all she needed was a piece of cloth. If I waved it in front of her, she'd burst out in fits off laughter and look at me in anticipation for the next time I wave. She'd also smile and laugh if I whistled to her. She'd go all still when I pucker my lips and when the whistle comes out, she'd smile and thrash. She'd hold completely still, hand in hand, a smile waiting to break out the moment the whistle came out. 

Sometimes a piece of cloth is all she needs, but other times, she'd be surrounded by all the toys she has, after being well fed and rested, and she'd complain. She'd continue complaining until someone picked her up and walked around. The look of gratitude on her face when I pick her up is enough to make me pick her up even though it means she grows thinking she'd get her way by crying. The doctor told my brother and my sister-in-law to let her cry herself to sleep and not to go to her side, a few minutes at a time. Yesterday they tested this out, and she was crying for half an hour, untended. It was hard to stand by. I don't like it, but somethings have to be done.

It was also nice to see my dad and mom play and take care of the kid. Having had me and my brother, they kind of have an instinct for what distress calls stand for. It's also as though you are an outsider, looking at your past when you were a kid.

It's going to be an interesting next few years as far as she is concerned. 


4 comments :

Anonymous said...

:)

Cheeky said...

You're a proper daddy-to-be mate.

Ryan said...

That I'm not. I'm easily scared.

Asmita Nandedkar said...

This is so adorable :)