Jan 24, 2007

Plagiarism at its heights

Well plagiarism goes unnoticed if:

i) If it is completely untraceable to any source. i. e. the perfect crime
ii) If the client( receiver) is ignorant of the source...
iii) Or if the people are so thick headed not to realise the concealed plagiarism.

What brought this up?

Tuesday evening on the S11. Hanging on to the overhead rod for dear life, I trained my ears for the music sifting in through the speakers over the noisy tires on the muddy road. Then suddenly I was surprised on hearing ricky martin's song from almas del silencio running on a rusty bus in coimbatore. But then my mind was stumped on hearing tamil, that too chennai tamil words, in a spanish song. Then it hit me. Hit me with the force of me slamming into the wall. They had stolen the music alone. The thieving bastards had stolen the work of someone else and had gotten credit for the same. The original lyrics were


Asi es que te quiero yo
A ver quien te quiere mas

Then the one I heard was ( thooya madras tamil)

Nee chikkunu ikkeeraye Enakku bakkunu ikkeedhumaaaaaaaaa...".

I almost died with shock.

Flashback.......

Watching the movie mugavari for the first time I was quite bored. Nowadays that is The only thing I get from tamil movies :P. So I went away from the Tv a bit. Suddenly I heard a BSB song coming on TV. I was an ardent BSB fan at that time. Now I'm selective about them but I still don't like them at the receiving end of criticism. Anyway back to our story. Yeah I ran to the TV and there was Ajith and Jothika dancing on a beach in who-knows-where in a video which should have had the five guys singing "we've got it going on!". Cheers to Deva the masterchief of plagiarism.

Flashback .....( We are still in the previous flashback ...This is a flashback in flashback :P)

The movie Kushi hits the screens. Music director Deva was acclaimed all over Tamil Nadu for having created a piece of great music. The song "Dum dum dum di...." hit the top of a few charts.
Not to my entire surprise ( well that is how I see it now) or rather , then I was completely surprised to see that the background score was from MJs Driving me wild..... That is when the realisation started. Next in the list is "yammadi" copying the tune of usher's yeah!. Lots of other copycats are still around. Either I haven't noticed them or I haven't heard their works. Mysteries waiting to be unravelled. Music directors waiting to be thrashed!!!

But then there is also a catch here! To the people who have seen the Inside man, I just hope you realise what I'm talking about here!. FOr all those who haven't here goes!

The starting music of the movie, or rather the main score is chaiya chaiya by A.R.Rahman. Kudos to rahman for doing our nation proud.

Well, I guess, such cheap comedians are not all Indian! Ciao!


9 comments :

Dinesh Krishnaswamy said...

Deva is one hell of a copy cat. we all know that. like father, like son- srikanth deva is nothing better either.
A.R. Rahman is great.

Madhavan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Madhavan said...

Hey Bro...

Talkin about deva reminds me of this site....it contains a list of copied music along with a preview of it in .rm format...
click on the music director of ur choice and enjoy...

http://www.itwofs.com/

P.S. ARR has also copied.. [:(]

Venki said...

Deva the master.. hav u seen batsha film.. its the mother of all plagiarisms.. Terminator music in tat.. damn.. recently i came across matrix theme music in alwar trailer & johny quest theme music for the trailer of some other film.. These guys shld learn frm ARR

Nithya said...

Curse Deva...Hail Rehman

But then Rehman has done the paap of plagiarism ??? :O :((

That tamil lyrics that u had penned down was downright stupid and funny as well

Nithya said...

U forgot to mention Anu Malik...That guy's another King as far as plagiarism is concerned

INJEY! said...

I believe Universal Pictures bought rights to use AR Rehman's song in the movie.
You can find Bombay theme music in "Lord of War" when Nicholas Cage sits outside the plane in Africa. And again the rights are legally bought from the Author.

But I wonder if anyone of our copycats paid any royalty to use others' tunes.

Anonymous said...

i'm lifting off that garfield comic strip .. call it plagiarism or what you want jackass !!

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practice anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)